One or more Associate Professorships in Social Anthropology
The Department of Anthropology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen, invites applications for one or more positions as Associate Professor in Social Anthropology. The position is available from February, 1. or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Department of Anthropology at the University of Copenhagen is one of Europe’s largest anthropological research institutions, with a research and teaching staff of about 30, approximately 600 students at the BA and MA levels and approximately 30 PhD students. In addition to the BA and MSc in Anthropology, the department also contributes to two cross disciplinary MSc programs in Global Development and Global Health.
The Department of Anthropology has a strong international research profile and a vibrant and dynamic research and teaching environment. The new Associate Professor(s) is/are expected to contribute actively to this.
Appointment as associate professor requires research and teaching qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment at the level of assistant professor or equivalent.
The successful candidate will hold a PhD degree in anthropology or a related discipline and have a background in fieldwork-based research, demonstrating a variety of research methods and forms of analysis. She or he should also have solid teaching and supervision competencies at university level. In addition, the successful candidate(s) will have considerable experience with outreach activities and impact.
General duties attached to the position are:
• Research within the field of social anthropology
• Teaching, supervision and examination of undergraduate, post-graduate and PhD students
• Administrative tasks related to the position as professor with special responsibilities or associate professor
• Knowledge sharing with wider society
• Research and teaching management
In accordance with the job description, job success (including future career advancement) will be evaluated both on the background of contributions to academic research and teaching and on the background of the broader terms of employment.
Conditions of employment
Terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The annual salary as Associate Professor is currently DKK 477,720. In addition to the salary paid directly to you, the University will also pay a monthly contribution to the pension fund corresponding to 17.1 % of your salary. Negotiation for additional supplements will be possible. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited from abroad, see http://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/taxes/
Applications must be in English and must include the following information and documentation:
• A full CV, including name, address, telephone number, e-mail, previous and present employment and academic background, including a record of research and international
• research cooperation.
• A complete and numbered list of publications.
• A maximum of six publications should be enclosed. The publications that the applicant would like the assessment committee to consider should be marked with an asterisk (*).
• Documentation of experience with managing research and/or teaching.
• A Teaching portfolio in accordance with the Faculty’s rules: http://socialsciences.ku.dk/faculty/publications/teaching_portfolio/
• A 3-4 page vision plan for strengthening of the departments’ research and teaching activities within the candidate’s field of expertise.
• Documentation of previous experience with outreach and impact and the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society at large.
If publications marked by an asterisk (*) are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of the applicant’s contribution to each individual work must be clarified in the application, and if possible, a declaration from the co-authors or the head of the institution or office at which the work was completed should be enclosed as well.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, applicants are selected for assessment on the advice of the Appointment Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert assessment committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him-/herself. The recruitment process is presented at http://employment.ku.dk.
Further information about the application procedure is available from HR Søndre City, e-mail: email@example.com, please refer to ID number 150687#1.
The terms of reference of the appointment process include that interviews may be held.
The University of Copenhagen encourages everyone interested in this post to apply, regardless of personal background.
Additional information can be obtained from Helle Samuelsen, Head of Department, telephone +45 35 32 78 77, mail H.Samuelsen@anthro.ku.dk
Information about the Department can be found at http://anthropology.ku.dk/
The deadline for applications including all enclosures is 10 December (at Noon 12.00 Danish Time)
Please note: Applications must be submitted and documents must be uploaded online. Press “Apply” and fill in the application form.
Applications received after deadline will not be taken into account.