Candidaturas até às 16h00 do dia 27 Julho de 2015.
Announcement for PRIMATOLOGICAL Research Position Part of Project EXPL/IVC-ANT/0997/2013
We are offering a Research Fellowship (Bolsa de Investigação), within project EXPL/IVC-ANT/0997/2013, titled: “Use of tools and behavioural complexity by chimpanzees in Guinea-Bissau” or “Uso de ferramentas pelos chimpanzés da Guiné-Bissau e complexidade comportamental “ This project is scientifically coordinated by Dr Kimberley Hockings, and funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), Portugal, under the following conditions:
1. Duration and Conditions of Activity Only European citizens can apply. Applicant must have an Undergraduate and Master’s degree. Duration is 6 months to start on the 1st September 2015 on an exclusive basis as regulated by FCT. For more information (in Portuguese) see: http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/normasbolsasemprojectosunidades
2. Purpose of Activity 2.1. General Objective: The examine the tool-use behaviour of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) in Guinea-Bissau. 2.2. Tasks to be performed To conduct a methodological and theoretical review of published literature on the ecology of tool-use behaviour in chimpanzees across Africa. The appointed Research assistant (RA) will conduct a 4-month survey to assess the tools chimpanzees are utilising across Guinea-Bissau, and conduct detailed local surveys to explain the presence/absence of certain tool-use behaviours described for chimpanzee populations in Africa. Process and analyse quantitative and qualitative data for subsequent article preparation.
3. Criteria a) Bachelors degree in Biology, Zoology, Biological Anthropology, or a related field, and a Master’s degree in Biological Anthropology. People who already have a Ph D cannot be considered b) At least 6 months fieldwork experience in Guinea-Bissau required, with experience of wild chimpanzee behavioural observation c) Research experience in collecting data on primate behaviour and ecology D) Appropriate skills in quantitative and qualitative data analysis e) Proficiency in English and Portuguese; familiarity with Creole (from Guinea Bissau) F) Proven track record, references will be requested
4. Payment The payment of the fellow will be in accordance with the table of values for Research Grants awarded by the FCT (only Master’s level). Flights and some subsistence costs will be covered by the project. http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores
5. Application Documents Applications must include three documents: (i) a covering letter detailing why you are suitable for the position (especially related to the above criteria) and the names and e-mail addresses of two referees (who have agreed to provide a reference) (ii) a detailed CV (iii) a recent piece of scientific work (preferably one that demonstrates your ability to conduct statistical analyses, such as a publication or dissertation).
6. Composition of Selection Panel Doctor Kimberley J. Hockings; Prof. Amelia Frazão-Moreira
7. Notification of Results The final evaluation results in the form of an ordered list of candidates will be posted by CRIA (FCSH – UNL). The chosen candidate will be notified through e-mail.
8. Opening Date and Deadline Applications must be submitted by 27 July 2015 at 16:00. Applications submitted after this date/time will not be considered. Applications should be sent via email (one email to include all required documents) to Dr Kimberley Hockings at [login para ver o contato] Instituição de contacto: Centro em Rede de Investigação em Antropologia – CRIA Endereço: Av. das Forças Armadas, Edifício ISCTE, cacifo 237 / sala 2N7 Lisboa 1600-083 Portugal Email: [login para ver o contato]
Mais informação: www.cria.org.pt